Please note that as an Amazon Associate and a member of other affiliate programs, I may earn a small commission at no additional cost to you when you purchase from the links in this article.
Peter Thomas Roth is not cruelty free because their products are tested on animals where required by law (in mainland China).
Additionally, Peter Thomas Roth is not 100% vegan as a brand.
To learn more about this brand and find out why they’re not cruelty free, keep on reading!
By the way, if you’re looking for new cruelty free products to add to your beauty routine, make sure to check out the last section of this post where you’ll find some of the best Peter Thomas Roth cruelty free alternatives.
Let’s dive right in!
Is Peter Thomas Roth cruelty free? Are Peter Thomas Roth products tested on animals?
Peter Thomas Roth is NOT cruelty free.
In order to be cruelty free, brands:
- Must not test their finished products or ingredients on animals
- Must make sure that their suppliers don’t test on animals
- Must not commission third parties to test their products on animals
- Must not sell their products in stores in mainland China, or other countries where animal testing is still required by law
Let’s take a look at Peter Thomas Roth’s official animal testing policy (I’ve highlighted the important part):
Is your company animal cruelty-free?Source: Peter Thomas Roth
Peter Thomas Roth does not test any of our formulas or raw materials on animals but we believe in total transparency and will not claim that for the following reasons:
1. We cannot be certain that a raw material supplier has not now or at some time in the past tested an ingredient on animals. We do not knowingly purchase ingredients that have been tested on animals and inquire before purchasing ingredients but some staple ingredients that have been used in products for years may have been tested on animals in the past.
2. We do sell our products in China and some other countries that still do test on animals; though it is our understanding that China is moving towards stopping this practice. We are not alone in selling to China; nearly every major cosmetic company sells there. Also to be noted are that many major beauty retailers conduct business there including QVC and Sephora.
In the highlighted points, Peter Thomas Roth admits that they sell in mainland China and that they can’t confirm that their suppliers don’t test on animals.
I have to say that at least I appreciate the transparency and honesty – at least their animal testing policy isn’t misleading (unlike some other brands…).
Since Peter Thomas Roth does sell their products in mainland China, their products may be subjected to animal testing there.
Therefore, Peter Thomas Roth is not cruelty free.
Peter Thomas Roth is listed on PETA’s list of companies that do test on animals.
Keep on reading for more information!
Is Peter Thomas Roth sold in China?
Peter Thomas Roth is sold in mainland China where animal testing is still required by law.
Why can’t cruelty free brands sell in mainland China?
Animal testing is still happening for products sold in physical stores in mainland China.
Pre-market animal testing is required for all special-use imported products, and non-routine post-market testing on animals may also be done in cases of customer complaints.
However, please keep in mind that this doesn’t apply to products sold in stores at the airports, or in Hong Kong.
Also, products can be sold online and shipped to mainland China without being tested on animals.
Is Peter Thomas Roth owned by a parent brand? If yes, is it cruelty free?
Peter Thomas Roth is not owned by a parent company.
Is Peter Thomas Roth vegan?
Peter Thomas Roth is not 100% vegan. Some of their products contain animal-derived ingredients or animal by-products.
Also, please keep in mind that since Peter Thomas Roth products may be tested on animals in mainland China, I definitely wouldn’t consider them as a vegan-friendly brand.
Cruelty free and vegan alternatives to Peter Thomas Roth
Peter Thomas Roth is a beauty brand focused on skincare.
There are so many beauty brands that are cruelty free!
That’s why, in my opinion, there’s really no excuse for supporting brands that test on animals.
Some of the best cruelty free alternatives to Peter Thomas Roth are:
If you want to discover more cruelty free skincare brands, check out my post on The 7 Best Cruelty Free Skin Care Brands in 2021 That Are Also 100% Vegan and Sustainable.
Now it’s your turn!
What are your favorite cruelty free brands?
Let me know in the comments below!