Please note that as an Amazon Associate and a member of other affiliate programs, I may earn a small commission at no additional cost to you when you purchase from the links in this article.
Rituals is 100% cruelty free. None of their ingredients and finished products are tested on animals, by anyone, anywhere in the world.
However, Rituals is not 100% vegan as a brand because some of their products may contain animal-derived ingredients or animal by-products.
If you want to learn more about this cruelty free brand, keep on reading.
And if you’d like to discover some of the most popular Rituals products, make sure to check out the last section of this post where I’ve listed some of their best-sellers.
Let’s dive right in!
Is Rituals cruelty free? Are Rituals products tested on animals?
Rituals doesn’t test on animals and is 100% cruelty free.
I reached out to this brand and confirmed that:
- Rituals’s finished products aren’t tested on animals by anyone, anywhere in the world
- The ingredients used in their products are never tested on animals by anyone, anywhere in the world
- Third parties never test Rituals products on animals
- Rituals is not sold in mainland China, or in any country where animal testing is still required by law
If you’re interested, these are the specific questions I asked them, along with their answers.
1. Do you test your finished products or ingredients on animals? 2. Do you ensure that your suppliers don’t test on animals?
– We are often asked if we test any of our products on animals. We are very proud to share that the answer is an absolute no! Rituals Cosmetics is a cruelty-free brand and has been from the start in the year 2000. We have never tested any of our individual ingredients nor finished products on animals and we do not work with suppliers that do so.
3. Do you commission third parties to test your products or ingredients on animals? & 4. Do you, your supplies or any third parties test your products or ingredients on animals where no animal testing alternatives are available, when required by law or in other exceptional situations?
– No, instead, we enlist the help of enthusiastic volunteers, independent dermatologists and safety institutions to ensure our products fully meet the required European regulations as well as the regulations within the country of sale.
5. Are your products sold in stores in mainland China, or in any country where animal testing is required by law?
– Furthermore, regarding your specific question on our points of sale in Asia our products are only available in Hong Kong and online via a certified sales points as according to local legislation they do not require animal testing. We do not sell our products in countries such as China as they require animal testing, for consumers in these locations they are able to purchase via an approved cross border retail partner.
6. Do you use animal-derived ingredients in any of your products?
(you can find their answer below, under “Is Rituals vegan?”)
7. Is Rituals owned by a parent company?
– No we are not.Source: email communication with Rituals
I must admit that I love their detailed and transparent answers. Other brands should definitely follow their example.
So, in conclusion – Rituals is 100% cruelty free.
Keep on reading for more information!
Is Rituals sold in China?
No, Rituals products are NOT sold in physical stores in mainland China.
Keep in mind that although their products are sold in Hong Kong, it’s not considered to be part of mainland China, and so animal testing requirements aren’t applicable there.
Why can’t cruelty free brands sell in mainland China?
Animal testing is still happening for products sold in physical stores in mainland China.
Pre-market animal testing is required for all special-use imported products, and non-routine post-market testing on animals may also be done in cases of customer complaints.
However, please keep in mind that this doesn’t apply to products sold in stores at the airports, or in Hong Kong.
Also, products can be sold online and shipped to mainland China without being tested on animals.
Is Rituals owned by a parent brand? If yes, is it cruelty free?
Rituals is not owned by a parent brand.
Is Rituals vegan?
Rituals is not 100% vegan.
However, most of their products are vegan-friendly.
When I reached out to this brand, I asked them this specific question, and this is their response:
6. Do you use animal-derived ingredients in any of your products?
– We are often asked if our products are suitable for vegans. We are glad to share with you that the majority of our products have not been developed with animal-derived ingredients, but we do want to let you know that some may contain trace amounts of animal-sourced products due to the development of an individual ingredient.
We invite you to consult the full ingredient list of your favourite product in case you prefer to avoid any non-vegan ingredients. The full ingredient list can be found on the packaging of each product as well as on our website.
In case you have a question if a specific product or ingredient is vegan-friendly, we look forward to assisting you further.
In the meantime we welcome you to discover our natural skin and body care collection The Ritual of Namaste, developed with responsibly sourced natural or naturally derived ingredients, making them ideal for unveiling your natural beauty.
Most of these natural skincare products are suitable for vegans, meaning that we can guarantee that none of the ingredients we use are derived from animals. Only the Ageless night balm and Ageless eye cream contain beeswax/cera alba, which is used for its unique properties.
We are devoted to personal well-being as much as we value the well-being of the planet and thank you for reaching out to us regarding our products.Source: email communication with Rituals
So, not all of their products are vegan, but most of them actually are. Always make sure to check the ingredient list of the specific product you’re interested in.
Best Rituals products
Rituals is a beauty brand mostly famous for their bath & body products, as well as different home fragrances, skincare and more.
Their products look, feel and smell gorgeous, and truly provide a precious luxurious experience.
You can find their products on Amazon.
Definitely check out some of their best-sellers!
Check out this RITUALS The Ritual of Sakura Renewing Routine Set, which is one of their best-selling products and makes a great gift for someone you love, which could also be yourself! 🙂
If you’d like to discover more cruelty free skincare brands, make sure to check out my post on the 7 Best Cruelty Free Skin Care Brands in 2021 That Are Also 100% Vegan and Sustainable.
Now it’s your turn!
Have you tried any Rituals products? If so, what are your favorites?
Tell us in the comments below!